The family of a teenager who was shot dead by police during a confrontation over a parking ticket in Melbourne’s west have been given the go-ahead to appeal a Federal Court decision that they are not entitled to any compensation.

Key points:Police say they were looking for the 18-year-old man who died during a chase through the suburbs last nightThe man was killed when officers fired rubber bullets at him while trying to subdue him in the city’s Akari precinctEarlier this year, the family of Michael Karmakar, who was killed by a police officer during a drug-related operation, launched a High Court action claiming he was unlawfully killed.

But the Federal Court dismissed their claims against the Federal Government, saying it had the power to impose sanctions if it felt the family’s claims were unreasonable.

Key Points:Police fired rubber pellets at a man during a police pursuit in Melbourne in January2015, leading to the teenager’s deathMichael Karmakhar, aged 18, was shot to death by a Melbourne Police officer in Akari, north of Melbourne, in January.

He had allegedly driven his vehicle into two police officers, before being shot multiple times.

His parents were at the Melbourne Magistrates Court last night, but could not be heard due to court proceedings.

Mr Karmarakar was killed in the alleyway in Akar’s main street just before 9pm on January 22.

He was later identified as Michael Kariar, by his father who called his name in court and later on social media.

The family had previously called for a public inquiry into the shooting.

Mr Justice Michael Smith ruled that the shooting was justified, and in its judgment on Thursday, the court also ruled that Mr Karmar’s family had a reasonable expectation of privacy.

Justice Smith also said the family had suffered financial hardship.

He noted that Mr Akari had previously received the same amount of compensation for Michael Karaar as a family member had for Michael Karamakar.

The judge said it was not unreasonable for police to have used rubber bullets in an attempt to subserve a search warrant, which he said was reasonable.

“It is not reasonable for police officers to be concerned about the public interest in pursuing an individual, who is not involved in any criminal offence,” Justice Smith said.

He said the actions taken by police were reasonable, and that the officer’s use of force was justified.

But the family has said they were disappointed by the outcome of the High Court appeal.

Mr Kariara’s parents were also told they were not entitled any compensation, but Mr Kariagar’s parents said they would pursue the case in the Federal Circuit Court.

Topics:law-crime-and-justice,police,police-sieges,maclean-4052,albany-4705,melbourne-3000,vic,asia